As you may know by now, baking bacon is much better than frying it (and suffering grease burns).
I picked up 3lbs of bacon on sale for $11 the other day and wanted to use it up before it expired.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F
- While it’s heating, cut the rashers in half
- Place on a baking sheet w/a roasting rack (many people say to use a cooking rack but most are not oven safe).
- Place into oven when it reaches 400F
- Set timer for about 20 minutes (you’ll want to check it to make sure it looks awesome and crispy but not burned). Everyone’s oven cooks differently (I have an electric oven which isn’t the greatest)
- Remove pans (leave oven going if you have more bacon to cook. I had 3 lbs and could only do about a lb at a time)
- Place bacon on a dish that has a paper towel on it, to help absorb some of the grease, then cover with another paper towel and pat it to absorb more off the top of the bacon.
- (if you have more bacon) place your next set on the sheets and repeat.
- After all of your bacon is cooked, place it in another container (I put a paper towel in the bottom to gather up any additional grease) and put in the fridge overnight (I happened to be cooking this late last night).
- Approximately 6 hours (or whatever you get to it), take the bacon out
- Place into your food processor, and pulse it on low.
- Instant bacon bits!
If you’re making a lot like I did, you’ll want to freeze some.
- Place parchment paper in a baking tray.
- Spread out bacon bits on tray
- Place in freezer for about 45 minutes to “pre-freeze” the bits.
- Divvy them up into containers (I use Mason jars).
- Place one container in the fridge and the rest back into the freezer.